If you grew up watching motorsport in the '80s and '90s you'll undoubtedly have a soft spot for DTM racing. The German series boasted not only packed grids and stadiums, but also some of the closest racing ever seen. Have a look!
Hans-Joachim Stuck, Klaus Ludwig, Frank Biela, Manuel Reuter, Bernd Schneider, Nicola Larina.... just some of the names that will forever be associated with hardcore DTM racing action. The series reached its peak in the '80s and '90s when manufacturers such as Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Opel, Audi and Alfa Romeo waged a no-expense spared war on Europe's racing circuits. These compilation videos by DTMEnthusiast on Youtube will certainly get the adrenaline flowing!
For the record, the winning cars/drivers during the series's peak years (1986-1996) were as follows;
- 1986 - Kurt Thiim - Rover Vitesse
- 1987 - Eric van de Poele - BMW M3
- 1988 - Klaus Ludwig - Ford Sierra RS500
- 1989 - Roberto Ravaglia - BMW M3
- 1990 - Hans-Joachim Stuck - Audi V8 Quattro
- 1991 - Frank Biela - Audi V8 Quattro
- 1992 - Klaus Ludwig - Mercedes-Benz 190E Evo 2
- 1993 - Nicola Larini - Alfa Romeo 155 V6
- 1994 - Klaus Ludwig - Mercedes-Benz C-Class
- 1995 - Bernd Schneider - Mercedes-Benz C-Class
- 1996 - Manuel Reuter - Opel Calibra V6
The series even visited South Africa (in 1990), and some of South Africa's big names had the opportunity to mix it with the visiting international superstars. See who you can spot in the video below... The 2 local races were won by Mercedes-Benz drivers Klaus Ludwig and Roland Asch, respectively. Asch took the overall spoils and a fresh-faced Deon Joubert was the top-placed South African (fifth overall).